Sunday, March 29, 2015

"Great as Frosted Flakes"






Sheeeee's GREAT!  Whoopi that is.  She put on a superb performance at Colgate last night.  "You are great, great as Frosted Flakes" was the advice that she gave one of the students in the audience that wanted to know,  "how can I be great?"   All of Whoopi's advice during her stand  up and Q & A session was simple, to the point and meaningful, yet not over the top philosophical.  I think she said many things there were a reflection of her latest book, Is It Just me?: Or Is It Nuts Out There?    Now that I have heard her speak,  I will make it a point to read the book.  

She made the audience laugh, and yes, I laughed until my belly ached. She is extremely down to earth, logical and realistic to the point that can be offensive to some, however she is honest with herself.  The message that mostly came across in my eyes was, know yourself. Funny, there is a banner at Hamilton College on the walk from the pool to the parking lot that reads, "Know Thyself."    Don't be afraid to say what you want, what you think, and what you know, with conviction!   

"Everyone has an opinion, but their opinion will not change how you get up in the morning," says Whoopi.    Social media is a clear example of how everyone wants to give their opinion.   I think that it goes without saying, take what you read with a grain of salt.  I've always liked that saying.   

Be willing to fail, be willing to try something you never have done before, but don't let anyone talk you into doing something stupid!  Like in Whoopi's case, she describes a story when a friend talked her into getting a brazilian wax.  She goes on to say, "I didn't know that I had an afro growing in  my butt! LOL!  She is most proud of her daughter who has raised three beautiful children, and Whoopi is now a great grandparent. 

She likes to fart, which is one of the reason's how she acquired the name, Whoopi. Her real name is Karen.  Life is weird, life is crazy, she says. I think we can agree with that. She encourages giving, and give what you can, but if you can't, then don't worry about it. Be honest with yourself, and be honest with others.  "Adults lie."  If you ask your spouse,  "do these jeans make my butt look big?"  You want your spouse to be honest, because if they aren't who will be?  Yes, your butt looks as big as a house, now take those off.  You can't be made at them for helping you out!  

In terms of relationships, Whoopi's advice is, "If someone says to you, "you complete me," then run the other direction as fast as you can, because you want to be with someone who is already a complete person, because you want to be complete without needing someone to complete you."  That made sense to me. 

The show was extremely enjoyable, she was completely amusing and entertaining. I walked away believing she is also a very humble and intuitive woman.  I thought it was sweet that Colgat's AD presented her with a hockey jersey with the #13 - however, ENOUGH with the SELFIES ALEADY!!  (Just my opinion!)


Weekend Swimming Practice


Saturday March 28th


Warm
300 swim
300 pull
300 kick/drill by 75
Main
Fins/kick - 4 x 100 @ 1:30
Swim - 4 x 100 @ 1:30
Fins/drill - 4 x 100 @ 1:40 (gallup, catchup, 6 kick 3 switch, head tap)
Swim 4 x 100 @ 1:30
Fins/paddles - 4 x 100 @ 1:20
Fins/paddles/snorkel - 4 x 100 @ 1:30
Cool:
200 back 
(3500)


Sunday  March 29th. 

Today's practice is aerobic training and is a compilation of two December workouts from Villanova masters.  ('13-14) plus my own creative pull set. 

Warm:
500 swim/200 drill/100 sculling/100 fly kick on back/100 IM Drill

Tech - Fins
1 x 200 12 K each side @ 2:50
1 x 100 catchup @ 1:30
1 x 200 Single Arm drills @ 2:50 (100 breathe to swimming arm/100 to non swimming side - sc edit)
1 x 100 catch up @ 1:30

Main - swim
9 x 150 (divided) 
3 @ 2:15 smooth
3 @ 2:10 build by 50 to zone 3 or red* 
3 @ 2:20 (fly/bk/br x 50)

Pull (paddles, buoy, band, snorkel)
400
2 x 200 build
3 x 50 fast

200 cool
(4K)










Happy Laps!!











No comments: