Monday, August 4, 2008

Peacock Flats

One afternoon I decided to explore the Peacock flats trail. The road leading to the trails is NOT flat - but there is a reason they labeled the trail peacock flats. The trail is located near Dillingham Airfield. After I parked along side of the road, I spoke with a wildlife employee who told me that the paved road lead up to the top where those pine trees where located on the bluff at the 5 mile mark.

The trees = 5 mile mark

I had NO idea that I was going to be going uphill for 5 miles. I trotted and trotted, and stopped every once in a while to enjoy the view.

At the 3.5 mile mark - there was another gate to go through.

It was so beautiful and peaceful up there. I very much wanted to go to the 5 mile mark so I can take a look at the trails - unfortunately I had a meeting to attend, and I was running out of time. I figured that I can descend the 4 miles w/out killing my quads in less then 40 minutes.
But before I could turnaround I was so surprised when I spotted a peacock crossing the road! I'd like to attempt this climb again one day when I have more time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: